Sunday, April 30, 2006

Half Birthdays

In our house, we celebrate the half birthdays too. Okay, actually only for the kids. (Can't imagine if I had to celebrate a 41 1/2 birthday! yikes!) I started it when Eli was 3. Somehow a whole year was just too darn long for him to wait. Add that to the fact that his birthday is in February and in the whole extended family there are tons of birthdays in late summer, and early fall. It just about killed him. So we set ground rules, as he is a huge 'precedent' kid.

For your half birthday you get:
1. 1/2 a cake
2. one candle
3. one balloon, you choose the color
4. one present (no party)
and if you are lucky:
mom will put up streamers and the b-day sign

So, last weekend we did Emmett's (overdue) half birthday. He is 4 1/2, but we hadn't had his 1/2 birthday, so every time someone asked me how old he was and I said "4 1/2" he would get upset and say "no, I haven't had my half birthday yet". So we had to do it before it got any more overdue (hey a month isn't too bad).
Now I'm not corrected when I say that Emmett is 4 1/2, and he even announces it too!

No comments: