Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Canada vs U.S.

It is the 4th of July here, and it was Canada Day just north a few days ago. Funny thinking about the two. There is so much that frustrates me about the U.S., and so much that appeals to me about Canada... in so many ways and for so many reasons- from health care, to attitude, to goverment decisions, to climate, to the wide open beauty and oh so much more. I have looked into moving there and it is easier said than done.

One blog : we move to canada... I found so helpful, and still continue to read. Laura writes of all of the trials and tribulations of immigrating from the U.S. to Canada, and details the entire process. Her tagline is that she is 'American by birth, Canadian by choice'. That is how I feel that I want to be.

Much of her sentiment is echoed in me, in a post called flags. She writes about the differences in the two flags and what they evoke in her. It may be a bit brief and "starry eye'd" but I like it. She writes:
For me, it's what the flag itself means to me. A flag is a symbol. And right now, the American flag symbolizes war and empire. Greed and unchecked capitalism. Arrogance and belligerence. And rampant hypocrisy, since we're told the Stars and Stripes symbolizes freedom and democracy, and both are in such short supply.

The Maple Leaf, by contrast, seems so benign. So understated. It beckons to me: Live a good life. Live a quieter life. We don't have all the answers, we're just trying to do the best we can in an imperfect world. Join us and we'll work on it together.

It seems odd to be reflecting on all of it in the midst of the national holidays, but also it is exactly these days that should make one realize what they stand for, and to question if they align with the beliefs that we each hold.

2 comments:

laura k said...

Thanks so much for the link! And thanks for reading wmtc. Maybe it's time to download your application.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know the feeling. Every year when Jerry and I go up to ice skate in Ottawa for Winterlude in February, we always say what a great feeling we have there - and what wonderful, down-to-earth, open, honest and unpretentious people we meet. (And Ottawa is such a beautiful capital city.)