Sunday, July 01, 2007

organic blue eggs


just started eating these fabulous eggs. they look so cool too... since there are eggs from different kinds of chickens including the arauncana ones which are blue!
I am lucky enough to have made a connection with a woman in the next town who has free range chickens and pasteurizes the eggs. She even delivers them (!) to my house on Tuesdays. and to boot, she only charges $2 a dozen!

They are much lower in cholesterol, and have significantly more Omega 3 's and vitamin A. They have all sorts of things that are good for you, and are so healthy. Not going back to the other kind if I can help it.

This wonderful woman even hooked me up with someone who organizes orders for grass fed organic beef and free range organic chickens too! I may be able to eat meat again from a source I trust. I did just get my cholesterol checked again to have a baseline to check against after I start eating all of these things again.


When I first got the eggs, I had just gotten home, and was so hungry. I whipped up this fabulous omelet:

Cheese and Tomato Omelet

1 free range egg
sea salt
4-5 cherry tomatoes, cut up a bit
fresh basil, chopped just a bit
goat cheese (I use herbed from Trader Joe's) or Fontina

Use a fork to scramble the egg, add the sea salt, then put it in a small pan and let it cook for a few minutes until almost set.
add the other things on top and fold one side of the egg over the other.
Let it sit for a minute in the pan to meld it all together.

1 comment:

freeranger said...

Good recipe, but I wonder about the 'pasteurized' eggs. How does she do it because it's normally part of the mass production system for processing eggs and egg products?