Saturday, July 21, 2007

packing Eli

okay, so I am totally into being prepared and organized when it comes to packing and going away. some people seem to think I am over the top about things, but I also know that once there, it becomes so much easier to function, and have things easily available.

so, as I am getting Eli ready to go away to 3 weeks of overnight camp, I am really into making it easy for him to function while there. He has a trunk, as all kids do. (and yes, he chose bright orange)


So... I created a new system for the trunk to use otherwise wasted space: the lid.
I used pockets that are made for 3 ring binders, attached velcro to the backs, and mounted them inside the lid. I also used one bigger file folder, so that he has a place to stash mail that he receives while at camp. I think it is pretty cool, and will help him be able to store stuff and find things easier too.

I had ordered the organizer thing that is supposed to go with it, but it isn't so great. It is supposed to kind of line the inside of the bottom part of the trunk by going around it and making little pockets. BUT..... if you have plenty of big clothes in the bottom, like pants, sweatshirts, etc. the 'pockets' all become squished against the sides and you can't really use them.
I like my new system, and Eli said he does too. I made enough for him to keep some stuff in them, and an empty one too, so he can use it however he wants at camp. who knows what he will need to stash!

No comments: