Monday, February 27, 2006

ripping out....

okay, now I am going nuts since Emmett decided he wants a green sweater, despite the fact that I have just about finished the blue norwegian-ish sweater! which I had to rip the sleeve out once to make it smaller. Now, all I needed to do was some finish work, and also the collar. When I tried it on him, he said, " I want a green sweater, mommy." I asked him if he will wear this one, and he said no. aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!


so, I searched for an simple pattern that I would like, and finally found a great one. It is a Debbie Bliss one from a book called Junior Knits, and the pattern is called Woody. It is great. So then I had Emmett with me the other day in a craft store, and he found a green yarn he liked. It's acrylic and I figured at $2.17 a skein (and I'd only need 2 of them) it would be okay. SO I started knitting it, but the gauge was way off, so rip it out and start again. Then he changes his mind about which green (I had bought 2 shades). So I start again (but bagged ripping it out this time). SO I start a third time, and figure I will do it a little different at the bottom since it curled last time. Now I am about 6" into it, and it is still curling, and I think it is from the cheap yarn. again: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!
(post note- see finished sweater done in beautiful washable wool here...)

So, I put it down and decided to work on the wonderful one for myself with the marled blue-ish green yarn. I am doing a pattern from the new Interweave Knits, and it is a ridged turtleneck sweater. I started it but didn't have enough of the right color, so I was knitting it with a stripe of yellowish yarn in it to compensate for too little of the great color. Then I ripped it out as I found more of the yarn I need and really only want to tip the edge, and not have a big stripe.... and because I found that in my eagerness to start it I only used half of the stitches I needed to make it in the round. So, I started again. but only because I knew that in the end I would be glad I did, and have something that I really like and enjoy wearing.

Okay, so rip it out I did, and then got most of the way done with the body, before realizing that one of the skeins that I used (obviously the one without a label on it) was a different dye lot. You can see the wide stripe from it. So...... now I will yet again be ripping it out. What I did find was that it fits great, and I love the pattern. But since I need to feel like I am getting somewhere, I may start on the sleeves next before ripping this out, and also knit them both on the needle at once so they are really the same.
But not sure, I think I need a break for a little bit. I know knitting is therapy, and I have needed it...... but how much therapy can I take without something to show for it?!

No comments: