Sunday, May 14, 2006

grilling cheese


I have been having huge cravings for cheese lately. I am willing to try most cheeses, and I saw one at the store that intrigued me, as it was touted as the "grilling cheese of Cyprus". Halloumi was the name of it, made of sheep and goats milk. I brought it home, and got right to the business of preparing to indulge in my new cheese, eager to taste it. I tried a bit when I was cutting it- quite salty. The cheese was really firm, almost like cutting into a block of mozzarella.

I warmed a small iron frying pan with a touch of butter in it. The butter sizzled and I put in the slices of halloumi. While that was going on, I toasted some bread, and sliced some plum tomatoes. The cheese was holding together and not oozing and 'melting' but simply warming and starting to get a bit golden. With some patience (I was really eager), it took on a slight grilled look.

When it was finally looking a touch browned and hot, I lifted it from the pan and carefully placed the hot cheese ontop of the bread and tomatoes. I scattered some freshly chopped mint on top. It was gorgeous. As I bit into it, I knew I had found something so new and scrumptious, that I would need to have it again and again. The mint was just the right accent and the flavors worked so well together. Of course I made another one as soon as I finished the first. Yum. Great little lunch!

No comments: