Wednesday, June 07, 2006

morning rain

5:24 a.m. The soothing sound of rain eased into my sleep soaked head. I was slowly waking up and it was a heavenly transition. I could hear the raindrops gently hitting the skylight near the bed. I opened my eyes and looked out. I could see the droplets collecting together and then running down the incline of glass. I could see the tops of the trees outside of the house. I was transported to a cabin at summer camp, where I was the counselor in charge of a dozen teenage CITs. We lived together that summer in a cabin in the woods called "Whiffet". Our cabin at Camp Four Winds was seperate from all of the others, and it was peaceful in the mornings as I was always the first to wake up.

Rainy days at camp were special in that most of the usual activities were scrapped and the counselors would come up with fun, creative indoor alternatives. Everyone got wet, as we were out walking in the spacious area that was camp. People would come into a cabin shaking off their rainy gear, and settle in. It was a comforting and welcoming environment. We would always be treated to something warm for lunch. It was a lazy time, although filled with energy on sunny days, but an energy that was somehow peaceful and productive too.

There was time to enjoy all of our activities and relationships, as we were all there for weeks on end. All of the kids and all of the staff knew each other well by the end of the summer. Rainy days just brought us all into closer contact.

The rain this morning brought me back to all of those close-knit family feelings that were what camp was about. It gave me a sense of belonging and longing to stay snuggled in my covers and in my bed, and feeling like I just wanted to be back in my cabin in the woods, looking out at the trees through the windows that are hard to slide closed..... where you can lie in bed and listen to the rain gently hitting the leaves on the trees.... where you can smell the clean fresh scent of not much.... easing yourself slowly out of bed when you finally hear the 'wake-up-bell' ringing down the hill, and then pulling on enough clothing to keep you warm at breakfast.

I long to get up, and pick my way down the path, over roots and by saplings and the moss near the bigger trees, knowing it so well that you know which rocks will tip if you step on them, and where you shouldn't step so you don't fall.... being able to go quickly and not kill yourself on the way to the lodge for breakfast. But instead I ease my way out of my bed, and go down to my grown-up kitchen in reality, far from the lodge which is no longer there- it exists now only in the memories of so many campers and counselors.

I make some tea, and my kids will wake up soon, and we will start the morning chaos before school, where it will all be gone in a flash..... but it will still lurk there for as long as I can hold it today, as I am quiet and listen. I will stop my boys later to be still to listen to the peacefulness. It's good to be slow at times.

No comments: