Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 sadness

a small tribute

I was a bit more affected this year by the anniversary of this tragic event. Not sure why other than that it is a more significant one by virtue of being a 5 year mark.

We stopped at this little bronze sculpture that is a memorial to a woman from our town who died in the awfullness in the twin towers. Eli and I were on our way home from hockey, stopped to return books at the library (where this sweet sculpture is located) and took a few minutes to be here and be sad for all that has changed in this world because of these senseless acts. The mother of the woman who died is a teacher that Eli knows from his old school. Her sister works in another school Eli attended. I am sad for them today.

We live about 2 hours from NYC. We luckily were untouched by not knowing anyone personally who died that day.

Everyone has a story though, even those who experienced it by watching it on TV.

I was laden with child and due in just a few days. (Emmett was born only 8 days later). I had been on bedrest and had been allowed off of bedrest for the last few days of my pregnancy. Sept. 11th was my first day 'up'. I mostly spent it in front of the TV. I did make sure to find out where my older brother was, as he is often in NYC and I never know where in the globe he is. He was fine.

I have watched a bit on TV in the last few days. It makes me sad. I have also been telling the 'story' of what happened to Eli in 9 year-old terms. It makes one think things through in an entirely different way. Especially when answering somewhat profound questions... in his mind trying to make sense of something which is beyond that realm of possibility. Eli isn't sad. He is just trying to understand it all and take it all in, as are all of the rest of us still.

It puzzles me to have friends in Europe who seem perplexed by Americans being 'scared'. We Americans feel like targets. 9/11 changed any feeling of the comfort we had previously felt. Now one never knows what will happen next. Yes we feel unsafe. Perhaps it was just living through the day that was 9/11 and the uncertainty of what was happenening and why and how incredible it all was. We all held our children close, and called everyone we knew. Everyone spoke to each other while passing on the streets or in schools, or anywhere. Everyone had a "deer in the headlights" look. I hope we never have to experience such a thing again. But I think we all know this won't go away, as many other incidents have happened in many other places around the world. Our world has changed. and it doesn't always make sense- to 9 year-olds, or to adults either.

No comments: