Friday, September 08, 2006

birthday come and gone

getting older? yes. wiser? maybe. definitely learning more about me, and who I want to become. If someone had told me that I would be going through this process in my 40s, I would have thought them crazy. Now I am finding that it is completely common. This is when we can find out who we truly are, after having many experiences to draw from, and to learn from. Where we have been shapes who we are now, and can help us to determine a bit of who we would and would not like to be. and even where we would like to be.

I am finding myself drawn to much of Buddhist thought and philosophy. Accepting, and appreciating what is now, and what we can't change, and acknowledging things around us.

For the moment, I am enjoying the new school year through and with my kids. They are having new classroom experiences, friends, and expectations. Eli is working hard with hockey, being on the ice many days a week right now. His class has his 2 best friends in it, and his teacher looped with them from last year. Emmett is trying to sort out how to be in a new classroom with very different, yet wonderful, teachers. Some of his friends are in the classroom next door.

Interesting hearing myself talk to them, also, and hearing advice I give them, and thinking how it needs to apply to me too. About money, and having 'things' and not always wanting more, and giving things away, and what is really important.
Working through a "LEGO problem" and hearing myself talk the boys through it. Who had what, and maybe since there is only one piece, we find something else that will suffice, and see how that can make it cool, and maybe even better.....
huh. (yes- that is profound)

But I did have a fabulous sandwich with my mom today from a moroccan restaurant, followed by a killer chocolate cake.
and my husband has my camera this weekend, so no photos of it.......

1 comment:

Jelly said...

Hi!
Happy belated birthday!
I'd like to e-mail you, but I don't see where your e-mail addy is! Mine's jennvaliquet at hotmail dot com!
Thanks in advance for being my BBM partner!! How exciting!