Sunday, October 01, 2006

100 miles (and less)




The whole idea of eating locally, and the commitment to it, is something so commendable. I have been reading alot of the Pocket Farm blog written by Liz in Maine. I love the whole concept, and wish I could do the same (ie: having a small farm, and being more self-reliant). She came up with One Local Summer in which people were challenged to create at least one local dinner a week.... meaning everything served was grown or produced locally. I loved it when I came upon it, but found it just in its last week and therefore couldn't participate in the challenge (at least in that way- but now I am doing it every day!).

In one of her latest posts she says:
I do admit to feeling a little lost without One Local Summer, and had toyed with the idea of a One Local Thanksgiving challenge, but someone else beat me to it. The Canadians behind the 100 mile diet have put out the call for a 100 mile Thanksgiving and you can bet I’ll be signing up. Anyone else interested? Head over to their site for details.

The 100 mile thanksgiving is such a cool concept. I like that they have both the Canadian and the American Thanksgiving on the site too bringing awareness to both sides of the border. I would like to try to meet this challenge. They have a little tool on the 100 mile website that you just plug in your zip or postal code and you can see your 100 mile circle.

As I am now mostly vegetarian, I will make a bounty of great things, yet also have a local, organic turkey to match. A friend of mine has a farm that raises turkeys, and I will barter something with her to get one for the meal.

For those of you who would like to meet the challenge, more power to you! I am certainly going to work on it to really succeed.

No comments: